The Original Amass recipe for PortatoBread
By Matt Orlando
1.5 kg of large Yukon Gold potatoes (baking potatoes in Denmark)
1.2 kg flour
0.6 l plain yogurt
50 g salt
10 Days Before
- Boil potatoes (leave the skin on) in a large pot of water until very soft in texture (time will be dependent upon the size of the potatoes).
- Drain water from potatoes and when cool enough to handle, peel off skin.
- Weigh 1kg of cooked and peeled potatoes and mix 20g of salt with the potatoes (it’s fine if the potatoes break apart).
- Take the potatoes and place them in a vacuum bag and seal.
- Keep potatoes in a room at least 30C for a minimum of 10 days. The bag will expand due to the gas produced from the fermenting potatoes.
1 Day Before
- In a stand mixer (e.g. Kitchen-Aid), place potatoes, yogurt, flour and 30 g of salt (with potatoes at the bottom of the bowl and salt on top) and mix until the dough comes together. The consistency should be bread-dough like.
- Place the dough into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Prepare a BBQ grill.
- Weigh 180 g of dough and shape bread into circular rounds, about a 1cm thick.
- The grill should be hot enough that when you place your hand over the grill, you will have to remove it after 2 seconds (250-650C).
- Place breads onto grill and grill them until they have grill marks on both sides.
- Brush both sides of the bread with melted butter and place in a 200C oven for 5-6 minutes.